We don’t mean to discourage anyone with the post’s title, on the contrary, photo shoots with kids can be really fun if you follow a few simple steps:
1. Make sure you’re fully loaded on patience. It’s more than likely that you won’t achieve all the pictures you had planned, because it’s complicated for children to stay focussed on the same activity for long periods of time. Don’t put them under pressure, becuase it will make them unhappy, and you won’t get the photos you hoped for.
2. Make them sing and dance songs they know. It will help them to relax and will most likely have you singing along with them.
3. Let’s play! Forget about them posing for you, unless they’re a little older, you’ll never get anything interesting. The only way is for them to play, play and play, which is exactly what they like to do. If they see the photo shoot as a game, they’re more likely to enjoy having their picture taken.
4. When they begin to get tired, make sure you get some food in their bellies, like a piece of fruit or something they enjoy. Whilst they get some energy back, you’ll have an amazing opportunity to snap them while they’re off guard.
5. Shoot in continuous (or burst) mode. Though it makes going through the final pictures a lengthier process, it will help to ensure you get some quality snaps. If not, what’s the point of digital cameras?
Miguel Pazos Ortega © all rights reserved.
This post is also available in: Spanish